Reporting directly to the Deputy Director, this position manages IMAN’s communications/outreach efforts to a wide variety of audiences, including the media, IMAN leaders, policy makers, activists, foundations and the public at large.
- Serves as a key member of IMAN leadership team, participating in managerial and policy decisions for the organization.
- Works closely with all staff and programs to ensure consistency and coherence of messaging.
- Oversees the development and implementation of communications strategy manual within the department.
- Supervises Communications Assistant, interns, and volunteers.
- Performs other assignments and tasks as necessary.
- Serves as a liaison between IMAN and various media outlets.
- Leads workshops for IMAN leaders dealing with public relations or media.
- Develops and cultivates relationships with the media to ensure that a proactive and dynamic presentation of the organization’s work and vision is presented to the public.
- Writes, edits or organizes content on IMAN’s web site. Solicits new information as necessary.
- Oversee development and launch of new multifunctional website.
- Assists in proposal writing and preparation of reports to foundations.
- Supervises the production and distribution of pamphlets and other materials for IMAN’s audiences including the public, funders and media.
- Develops and oversees innovative ways of keeping IMAN leaders, supporters and future members informed and engaged with IMAN’s efforts.
- Works to develop a team of volunteers committed to a high quality monthly newsletter about IMAN’s programs and activities.
- Utilizes social media effectively (facebook, twitter, blogs) to disseminate messages build support base.
Knowledge and Skill Requirements:
- Bachelors Degree in Communications, Media, or related field required. Masters degree preferred.
- Two to three years experience with media or policy related communications/public relations
- Demonstrated experience working in communications for a fast-paced, multifaceted organization
- Non-profit work experience preferred
- Exceptional writing, editing and communication skills. Strong familiarity with writing in journalistic style
- Experience managing staff, volunteers, and associated budgets
- Experience planning events and coordinating large committees
- Experience in writing for and contributing to a web site
- Ability to manage tasks and work effectively as part of a leadership team.
- Ability to employ all aspects of organization and drive an effective communication strategy.
- Attention to detail and accuracy a must.
- Intimate familiarity with and a proven track record of navigating diverse sectors of the Muslim community
- Willingness and enthusiasm to be part of a long term organizational building effort.
Competitive salary and benefits package will be offered to the successful candidate