Reporting directly to and working with the Manager of Donor Relations, the Development Fellow works as part of a dynamic development team to research, identify, track, analyze, acknowledge and help drive the process of renewing, cultivating and soliciting individual donors. This position will be responsible for helping to implement new cultivation and retention strategies that deepen the organization’s major donor pool, broaden the base of support and increase donor contributions.
As part of the development team, the Development Fellow will play a critical role in supporting all fundraising efforts, events, and internal processes to help achieve the organization’s annual revenue goals. The Development Fellow will help to link the two facets of the development department —private donor development and foundation/corporation development together through joint strategizing and collaboration.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Individual Donor Cultivation & Stewardship
- Assist in managing data-gathering and help maintain portfolio of major donors throughout the United States and abroad; assist relevant Board and staff to qualify, cultivate, solicit and steward these individual supporters.
- Assist in monitoring all contacts to ensure positive and purposeful prospect and donor relations; help ensure timely and strategic communications with donors.
- Assist in initiating contacts with potential donors. Help to move potential donors in an appropriate and timely fashion toward solicitation and closure.
- Assist in the coordination and implementation of site visits with donors and prospects.
- Assist in collecting, processing and maintaining information on individual donors including age, contact information, specific interests, volunteer activities, stewardship activities, giving history and pledge information.
- Ensure that all individual donors receive prompt acknowledgment of gifts.
- Liaise with other development staff to ensure that department goals are aligned and consistent.
- Help implement a comprehensive communications and contact plan, appeal strategy and robust event strategy for individual donors.
- Help to develop and enhance IMAN’s relationships with key constituencies via networking, public speaking and other relationship-building activities.
- Assist in the execution of mail & email solicitation campaigns.
- Assist in the coordination of events to attract, cultivate and thank prospective donors.
- Help determine direction of IMAN’s capital campaign by assisting in research and analysis of successful capital campaign strategies.
- Work with development staff and consultants to build the foundation of IMAN’s capital campaign and help recruit and cultivate individuals to serve on capital campaign committee.
- Bachelors or Masters Degree in Communications, Business, Non-profit Management or related field preferred.
- Experience working or volunteering with non-profit social justice organization a plus.
- Exceptional writing, editing and communication skills with a demonstrated record of timely completion of assignments.
- Ability to navigate diverse sectors of the Muslim community.
- Ability to generate and deliver persuasive and clear written and verbal communications.
- Strong presentation and networking skills.
- Knowledge of and experience with donor data management systems, especially e-Tapestry, a plus.
- A customer service orientation that is authentic, consistent, and professional.
- Excellent organizational, time management and follow-through skills. Ability to work independently and willingness to be a part of a team.