Lead Community Organizer
We are seeking a Lead Community Organizer to help push forward our organizing and advocacy objectives during this transformational period.
The ideal candidate has a vast knowledge of organizing strategies and concepts and is committed to direct-action organizing as well as public policy advocacy. We are seeking someone confident in leading multiple campaigns at one time while managing key individual and organizational relationships. The candidate should have a commitment to developing local leaders, building IMAN’s base, and contributing to IMAN’s organizational development.
Ideally the candidate has served as a lead organizer at the local level in labor, community, faith or another organizing tradition and can adapt to and contribute to IMAN’s unique organizing model, which currently focuses on immigration rights, criminal justice reform, health and education and is complemented by arts and culture and direct services.
Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
• Lead IMAN’s campaign issues (primarily on housing, criminal justice, immigration reform, and on Muslim Run, IMAN’s health and education campaign dealing with corner food/liquor stores and the problem of food deserts and racial/ethnic tension.
• Build and sustain relationships with IMAN leaders; develop leadership and sense of empowerment amongst leaders and community.
• Develop and maintain communication with a broad coalition of grassroots groups.
• Share written reflections on a regular basis with Executive Director or senior staff regarding organizing and professional development issues.
• Develop strategies and strategic analysis for IMAN’s organizing programs.
• Lead and conduct organizing trainings and forums to educate the broader community on campaign issues.
• Play key role in supporting strategic communications through effective messaging tactics.
• Coordinate action campaigns while bringing together different ethnic communities.
• Collaborate on the submission of grant reports and proposals.
• Represent IMAN at conferences and special events.
Education and Experience
• Bachelors Degree in related field.
• 5-7 years community organizing experience and a strong understanding of different approaches to community organizing.
Knowledge, Skills and Other Abilities
• Strong interest in and commitment to community organizing and social, economic and racial justice.
• Strong knowledge of Chicago, its neighborhoods, residents, and surrounding communities.
• Willingness to learn and teach the requisite skills necessary for effective participation in public life.
• Excellent relational and leadership skills.
• Excellent written and verbal skills.
• Spanish/Arabic a plus.
• An ability to work effectively in a multicultural setting.
• A willingness to work flexible hours.
Competitive salary and benefits package will be offered to the successful candidate.