Community Organizer (Atlanta)
The Community Organizer is a full-time position that reports directly to the Atlanta Director.
Job Duties & Responsibilities:
- Lead the vision of IMAN’s Organizing Department.
- Oversee Organizing department leaders and volunteers.
- Develop and implement effective strategies for and conduct ongoing analysis of all department campaigns.
- Build and sustain relationships with IMAN leaders; develop leadership and sense of empowerment among leaders and community.
- Work with Atlanta Director and coalition partners/allies to coordinate actions/ campaigns.
- Represent IMAN at coalition meetings, conferences and special events. Develop and maintain intake and training program for leadership development of volunteers and leaders.
- Build strategic alliances with community organizations, religious groups, public officials, campaign allies and other community stakeholders.
- Lead organizing trainings and co-develop organizing curriculum. Build and mentor a high-performing Organizing team, hiring and developing key talent to effectively advance IMAN’s mission.
- Engage broader Muslim communities around IMAN’s social justice campaigns.
- Support Development Department with grant proposal and report writing. Develop and maintain relationships with program officers.
- Prepare presentations, attend meetings and coordinate site visits for foundations and potential funders.
- Work with Finance Director to develop and manage annual budgets for Youth and Organizing departments.
- Work with other senior staff to provide strategic input for organizational growth and development.
- Collaborate with other programs/departments to identify synergies and opportunities for coordinated programming.
- Three to five years of related experience; particularly in social justice organizing and nonprofit work.
- Strong interest in and commitment to community organizing and social, economic and racial justice.
- Knowledge of Atlanta, its neighborhoods, residents, and surrounding communities.
- Experience managing teams, volunteers and associated budgets.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, written and verbal group facilitation skills.
- An ability to work effectively in a fast-paced, multicultural environment.
- Intimate familiarity with and a proven track record navigating diverse sectors of the Muslim community.
- Must be able to work some week-ends and evenings and have reliable transportation
- Education: High school or equivalent