Strategic Communications Manager
Reporting directly to the Director of Community Relations, this position manages IMAN’s communications/outreach efforts to a wide variety of audiences, including the media, IMAN leaders, policy makers, activists, foundations and the public at large.
- Work closely with all staff and programs to ensure consistency and coherence of messaging
- Oversee the development and implementation of communications strategy manual within the department
- Lead Communications/PR Strategies for all IMAN programs and initiatives
- Serve as a liaison between IMAN and various media outlets
- Develop and cultivates relationships with the media to ensure that a proactive and dynamic presentation of the organization’s work and vision is presented to the public
Web Site/Urban Edge/Database:
- Write, edit or organize content on IMAN’s website. Solicit new information as necessary
- Oversee development and launch of new multifunctional website
- Lead production of the Urban Edge online monthly newsletter
- Work with Development Department to strategically deploy IMAN database
- Regularly devise ways to increase IMAN email list and collect data for IMAN database
- Supervise the production and distribution of pamphlets and other materials for IMAN’s audiences including the public, funders and media
- Develop and oversees innovative ways of keeping IMAN leaders, supporters and future members informed and engaged with IMAN’s efforts
- Develop and oversee a thriving Communications Committee consisting of volunteers
committed to contributing to high quality regular communications about IMAN’s programs
and activities and devising creative methods to get people interested in the work
- Utilize social media effectively (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat) to disseminate messages and build support base
- Bachelors Degree in Communications, Media, or related field required
- 2-3 years experience with media or policy related communications/public relations
- Demonstrated experience working in communications for a fast-paced, multifaceted organization
- Non-profit work experience preferred
- Exceptional writing, editing and communication skills. Strong familiarity with writing in journalistic style
- Experience managing staff, volunteers, and associated budgets
- Experience in writing for and contributing to a website
- Ability to manage tasks and work effectively as part of a leadership team.
- Ability to employ all aspects of organization and drive an effective communication strategy.
- Attention to detail and accuracy a must.
- Intimate familiarity with and a proven track record of navigating diverse sectors of the Muslim community
- Willingness and enthusiasm to be part of a long term organizational building effort.
Competitive salary and benefits package will be offered to the successful candidate.