Strategic Communications Manager
IMAN seeks a dynamic, proactive and nimble candidate for Strategic Communications Manager, a position that manages IMAN’s communications/outreach efforts to a wide variety of audiences, including the media, IMAN leaders, funders, policy makers, activists, foundations and the public at large. A successful candidate will bring a sharp racial justice analysis to this work and a keen understanding of how IMAN’s critical community organizing efforts fit into the current social, political and economic landscape in Chicago, Atlanta, the U.S. and abroad. The successful candidate will have a shrewd awareness of current events, a pulse on sentiments and critical conversations occurring within the broader American Muslim community, and will have the ability to create and curate messaging about IMAN’s work that speaks to all of these themes organically. This will be a full-time position, operating from IMAN’s Chicago headquarters.
- Work closely with all staff and programs to ensure consistency and coherence of messaging
- Help to identify and implement new ways to meaningfully engage constituents
- Lead Communications/PR Strategies for all IMAN programs and initiatives
- Serve as a liaison between IMAN and various media outlets
- Develop and cultivates relationships with the media to ensure that a proactive and dynamic presentation of the organization’s work and vision is presented to the public
Web Site/Urban Edge/Database:
- Write, edit or organize content on IMAN’s website. Solicit new information as necessary
- Oversee development and launch of new multifunctional website
- Lead production of the Urban Edge online monthly newsletter
- Work with Development Department to strategically deploy IMAN database
- Regularly devise ways to increase IMAN email list and collect data for IMAN database
- Supervise the production and distribution of pamphlets and other materials for IMAN’s audiences including the public, funders and media
- Develop and oversees innovative ways of keeping IMAN leaders, supporters and future members informed and engaged with IMAN’s efforts
- Develop and oversee a thriving Communications Committee consisting of volunteers
committed to contributing to high quality regular communications about IMAN’s programs
and activities and devising creative methods to get people interested in the work
- Utilize social media effectively (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat) to disseminate messages and build support base
- Bachelors Degree in Communications, Media, or related field required
- 2-3 years experience with media or policy related communications/public relations
- Demonstrated experience working in communications for a fast-paced, multifaceted organization
- Non-profit work experience preferred
- Exceptional writing, editing and communication skills. Strong familiarity with writing in journalistic style
- Experience managing staff, volunteers, and associated budgets
- Experience in writing for and contributing to a website
- Ability to manage tasks and work effectively as part of a leadership team.
- Ability to employ all aspects of organization and drive an effective communication strategy.
- Attention to detail and accuracy a must.
- Intimate familiarity with and a proven track record of navigating diverse sectors of the American Muslim community
- Willingness and enthusiasm to be part of a long term organizational building effort.
Competitive salary and benefits package will be offered to the successful candidate.